Yesterday was everything that the LAfreestore was meant to be - and so very much more.
We are so happy you were able to learn some stuff, take some stuff, and share some stuff. The next event is already in the works, so stay tuned via the RSS feed!
Thank you to the demonstrators, the wonderful musicians, and our super-star volunteers! You are the LAfreestore!
Look for photos- soon to come!
KEEP SHARING LA!
In response to emails and inquiries, I have surmised a basic how-to and what-not list for the LAfreestore experience:
· Bring your own shopping bag… shopping bags/throw away bags will not be provided for you – put those cute totes and baskets to work!
· If you would like to be listed on the LAfreestore’s event page and be an official demonstrator to teach the community something they may not already know, please contact us to see if we can find you a spot, and a time slot! Otherwise, everyone has the opportunity to share their skills in the general meet and greet of what is the LAfreestore experience.
· It is so exciting to see that so many of you want to share your talents and are bringing your contact information to share with each other. All we ask is that you keep in mind that the event is to promote a trade economy. So, everyone’s service is of equal value and if you would like to trade services with someone, that is what we are here to help you do! We hope you do meet someone who has a service that you can trade time with - this is a version of time banking! At a time bank, One hour of service=One hour service.
· We are so thrilled to hear of so many who are wanting to share with your community, and take a little too! So, to accommodate all of you, there will be a check in at the entrance where you will deposit your gifts – our staff will be sorting, folding, hanging, stacking, and sorting some more as you enter the event. So please, we ask for sweet patience as the items are brought in and sorted and displayed.
· Please be sure that all donations are useable/wearable, in other words, if you are bringing clothes to the LAfreestore, please be sure they are washed and ready to wear. One of the main goals of the LAfreestore is reduce our waste stream, and when we treat our used goods like trash, we think of them as trash. So if we treat them well, and bring them in wearable condition, we can see that our used goods are just that – GOOD!
· If you are planning to bring food items, please be sure that the foods are non-prepared foods such as pantry items, fresh produce, and canned goods. We will not have utensils or cutlery or an official food server to distribute prepared/cooked foods, but I’m sure the community would love your unused pantry items that you just won’t get to before it expires!
· The Cue: since every person will be checked in at the entrance, with their donations, we ask that you please wait patiently in line, and remain on the sidewalk. York Blvd. is a busy street so please be very careful.
· Parking: please, please find parking along York Blvd. Our land owner has made a special request that we respect the residential street and find parking along York Blvd. York is a very long street! Surely parking can be found there!
· Finally: Our dear giving owner of Casa Princessa Café has kindly donated the use of his space for this event… so please keep in mind that the LAfreestore is OUTSIDE ONLY. Inside Casa Princessa Café is NOT the LAfreestore. Once you enter his building, you are inside his store, which requires money. NOTHING INSIDE his building is free. All free exchanges are outside only.
Saturday is nearly here! Gather your goods! Bring your best smile and handshake, and don’t forget your tote!